When you are planning to sell dental metal scraps, you need to know what type of alloy is used in it because this determines its value. Gold cannot be used alone because it is too soft. In dental applications, alloys are used because their characteristics are more superior. Generally speaking, there are three basic categories of dental alloys.

  • High noble alloys – Also called precious metals, alloys in this group is composed of over 60% of noble metal (gold, palladium, and platinum). The remaining 40% is gold. These are noted for their low-reactivity and resistance to corrosion and oxidation.
  • Noble alloys – Also referred to as semiprecious metal, these alloys have at least 25% noble metal content. They are relatively strong, durable, hard and ductile. It may be yellow or white in color.
  • Non-noble alloys – Also called as base metals, it contains less than 25% of noble metal and may even have none at all. They often contain large percentage of nickel, cobalt, chromium or beryllium. These are much harder, stronger and have twice the elasticity of the high-noble and noble metal alloys.